Welcome to Savong’s School 25 minutes east of Siem Reap Cambodia. Svay Savong is a young Cambodian who had the dream to build this school in order to provide free language education to rural children. In this part of Cambodia, not far from the incredible Angkor Wat temples, tourism is the major employer beyond subsistence farms and family retail businesses, so skills in languages provide a passport for future employment. For several hundred rural children Savong’s School provides hope, opportunity and support. More than 1000 have learned English here.
The school was built in 2005 with the help of many supporters world-wide, and together with Savong and his team of teachers the school has made progress – step by step – to provide higher levels of education with better resources. To meet the needs of particularly poor children the school has also established a small orphanage nearby (home for 38 children).
Volunteers are always welcome here, whether for a day, a week, (or preferably) a month or longer, and we know the experience will be as valuable for you as it will be for the students who come here voluntarily. They really appreciate the gift of free education. School operates in the afternoons, while orphanage volunteering opportunities are available mornings and afternoons.
Come help us make a difference!
- Near Siem Reap, Cambodia . (See map.) Three classrooms, library, computer classroom.
- Children's home for 38 especially needy students.
- The project is directed by Svay Savong.
- The objective is to give young rural students employment opportunities by teaching them languages useful in the local tourist sector: Korean, Japanese and English.
- Computer skills are also taught.
- Top students are awarded university scholarships designed to support them through 4 years of university study - fees, living expenses and laptop. Currently we have 15 scholarship students in this program. (Also several SOC students are also being supported through university.)
- The school is an example of the global village at work. It has been supported by people from all around the world. More than 1,000 local students have learned languages and other skills here at Savong's School.
Meet Savong. Or keep up with the latest news at the school and orphanage.
If you are thinking of volunteering:
Note - we happily have two sister websites:
- Hosted out of Singapore: http://www.savonghomeeducation.org and focusing on the Savong Orphan Centre now named Savong Home Education - Cambodia (SHEC)
- And hosted out of the USA is the new Savong Foundation website. Phil also maintains a very active Savong Foundation Facebook page. Check it out. Actually Savong is on Facebook too.
- You can also follow us on Twitter.